Monday, December 5, 2011

Rockstar v.s. Missionary

  Since I've been here in Montana many people have asked me "Why did you want to go on a mission?" or "What makes you want to do this?". So I want to give a little insight on my answer to these questions.

Its no secret that I am a huge fan of music.
Its a Fender Tele if you were wondering.

  I grew up listening, playing, writing and sometimes recording it. I had all kinds of gear for my guitar, had a band, was writing music, playing shows.....Just about everything my music passion could want (Well, except making loads of money to buy more music gear.).

In the midst of all of these things, I had rooted in me something that surfaced many times. My testimony. It was this testimony in Jesus Christ which helped me to come out here on a mission. I hope to share a little of it with you.



After all that has been said, the greatest and most important duty is to preach the Gospel.
-The Prophet Joseph Smith
In the Book of Mormon, the great King Benjamin teaches his people about service:

17And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.



  I understood this concept. I knew that what I had been blessed in my life to have the knowledge of the gospel. I knew it was a responsibility that I had, to share it with others..The promptings were there. But how could I? Leaving the place I was raised was hard enough, but also going to a place where I knew no one and on top of that trying teach the gospel to them... Just seemed impossible...
Then leaving my music was another thing.
This is a ton of fun....Especially in sweats.




What should I do?





So I prayed.


And prayed...


And prayed some more....
   And you know what kept coming to my mind...



















Keep scrolling down.






































BOOM!











My testimony in the Book of Mormon. I'm going to share a snippet with you:

 I know the Book of Mormon is true. I know it is the word of God. It cuts through any darkness, sadness, anger, or unbelief. This is because this book testifies of Christ, it teaches of Christ and as Joseph Smith said, we can come closer to Christ through the Book of Mormon then any other book. I've felt the power of it, you can too. I declare that this book is true. I know it through the Holy Spirit which testifies of all truth and light. I have felt the love that Christ has for us through it. Its an amazing, intense love that he wants us all to feel.

"We must know Christ better than we know him; we must remember him more often than we remember him; we must serve him more valiantly than we serve him."
-Howard W. Hunter
 This is why we have the Book of Mormon.


  With something so powerful, how could I not go? Who cares if I'm scared. The things I have at home are minimal compared to the eternal truths that ill be sharing with others. 

"We see ourselves in terms of yesterday and today. Our Heavenly Father sees us in terms of forever. Although we might settle for less, Heavenly Father won’t, for He sees us as the glorious beings we are capable of becoming."
-Joseph B.Wirthlin

Eternally speaking, I am not defined by my guitars, my fears, my temporal hungers. 

I am a child of My Father in Heaven. 
And so are you.
We are brothers and sisters. 
We all deserve this knowledge, this building of faith.
  Its my prayer that we might be able to see a portion of the potential that our Father sees in us and that we might all be able to open our hearts to the Holy Spirit. He will tell you the Book of Mormon is true and he will tell you the truth of all things spiritual. Ive had the opportunity to talk about the gospel with anyone and everyone for the last 17 months, and I wouldn't trade it for anything (Not even music stuff). That's because I know what we share blesses individuals and it blesses families. 

So read. Ask questions. Pray. Search and you will find. Knock, and it will be answered.









No comments:

Post a Comment