Monday, December 5, 2011

Testimonies: Different Paths, One Destination



One day I was talking to a missionary who told me alot about his life back at home. He told me about his work as a EMT and alot of the different scary situations he had to face before the mission. There were literally people whose lives depended on him. I replied back, half joking, "Well...I worked at a car wash before coming out." He just laughed and replied,"We take different roads to the same destination."
  How true this is.

 So I would like to share with you a couple of different testimonies of the Book of Mormon that friends of mine have written for me. We all have different roads that have lead us to these testimonies and we pray you may feel of the Spirit as you read.


Brooke:




  As a child I loved two things more than life itself: food and sports. I was eight years old when the new Mormon girl moved to town. Unlike some of the other kids I decided that I would befriend her depsite her unique beliefs. She offered just what I wanted: to come do crafts at her church, and they would even have cookies and a soccer ball. When I walked in and saw the gym I knew this place was legit. She kept invititng me week after week and I loved it more and more. I was Roman Catholic at the time so I didnt listen much to the religious stuff, it just felt like betrayal. Enter middleschool and life was so busy with competitive sports and music that I started ditching out on mutual. Then highschool happened and everything changed. My attitude, my activities and my friends. I knew what I was doing was wrong, and I wanted to get away from my constant poor life choices. Not to mention the tumor we found by my brain that ended my soccer career just short of college scouting. Thats when I went to my LDS friend again. I started going back to mutual and still loved it. Maybe it was because I kicked butt at apples to apples and soccer, but none the less I loved the feeling and the kind people. I started taking discussions (poor missionaries, I was horrid). They gave me a Book of Mormon and reading assignments. I thought it was all a joke, until I started reading. I was always happy and I felt so uplifted. I prayed about it everytime I read and always had such positive feedback. On May 2, 2009 I was baptized and soon learned it was the best choice i would make until this day. It has now almost been two years and I couldnt ask for more from joining the church. I have my life on track, my choices are exceptional, and I have met so many amazing people. I have watched the blessings pour in and make every dream I have ever had achievable. I am so happy I took a leap of faith to join a church that I used to think was ridiculous. If you just take the time to listen and believe this church along with the Book of Mormon can change your life. It saved mine and thats the best gift I will ever recieve.


Elder Lee

My name is Elder Matt Lee and I have been a part of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints all of my life. I have been blessed and privileged to have the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ as a huge part of my life since my very early years.

I have been blessed with a testimony of the Book of Mormon since I was young. I have always known that it was true. I have read from it and studied it with my family, in church, and in private all of my life. At the end of the Book of Mormon a prophet named Moroni leaves us with a challenge. It is found in Moroni 10: 3-5. In these verses he exhorts us to ask our Heavenly Father if the Book of Mormon is true. The first time that I asked my Heavenly Father that question my answer came back that I already knew that it was true. At first I didn't really like that answer. I wanted something big. Something miraculous. BUT I know that the true miracle is that I have been blessed with a testimony of the Book of Mormon and the very church that Jesus Christ set up since the tender years of my youth.

I was baptized and received the Gift of the Holy Ghost at age 8. I know that being baptized at age 8 has helped me SO much. I know that I was baptized at the time that I needed to be. The right to the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost coupled with my testimony of the Book of Mormon helped me SO much during my teenage years and will continue to help me throughout the rest of my existance.

My faith and testimony of the Book of Mormon helped me through the toughest times in my life. In my darkest hour I was able to be strengthened through a few verses in the 36th chapter of the book of Alma in the Book of Mormon. I have learned about charity and service from King Benjamin's address to his people in the beginning of the Book of Mosiah. I have learned about trust in God and His commandments from Nehpi's dealings with his family found in the First Book of Nephi. As I continue to respond to Moroni's challenge at the end of the Book of Mormon my testimony continues to be strengthened.

I have a strong testimony of the Book of Mormon. I read from it every day (along with the Bible). I love the teachings from the prophets within and I do my best to apply the principles that they teach. I know that as I trust in the Book of Mormon I am able to trust in all of the other teachings that are found in the Gospel of Jesus Christ (which fullness is found only in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints).

I absolutely love the Book of Mormon. Infinite wisdom is contained therein. I have learned so much from it and I know that there are so many other things that I can learn. I hope that all can gain a strong testimony of the Book of Mormon. It will bring you closer to Jesus Christ. It will bring you in closer harmony with your fellow men. It will bring you joy and peace.


Robin


Here are some thoughts/my testimony of the BOM!

Just to give a brief background for those who might take the time to read this:).. I am 19 years old and live in St. George, Utah. I was baptized when I was 8 years old, and born to a really strong family.

The Book of Mormon is truly about the Savior. When I think of this precious book, I think of our Savior Jesus Christ. If anyone was to read this book, they would notice the title pages explaining the purpose of this book, and it truly is to bring everyone unto Christ. And I understand how crazy that might sound for those who see Jesus Christ as any other historical figure, but he truly is the Messiah and the redeemer of the world! I know that I cannot prove that to someone but I also cannot deny it. I love the quote:

Like the wind we can feel or hear it,
Yet we don’t know where it comes or goes.
So it is with the Holy Spirit,
How He comes to us nobody knows.

There really are not words that can describe my feelings of the gospel. I love the scripture in Moroni 10:5--And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things.

I know that the burning feeling that I have when I read the book of Mormon is the Holy Ghost. The Holy Ghost testifies of Christ! I know that in order to receive his companionship I must live worthily and pray to my Father in Heaven.

I have lived life both worthily and unworthily of these blessings but I also can testify of the atonement of Jesus Christ. Men on earth are not perfect, so Heavenly Father sent his perfect Son to atone for our sins! I know that no matter how low I feel, or how big of a mistake I have made, that I can be forgiven if I repent of my sins and try my best to do better. There is a quote that says: "Heavenly Father does not require anything better than our best because that would be unjust, but if we do not do our best, that would also be unjust."

Our Father and Savior know us each individually! They know what our strengths and weaknesses, sorrows, joys, and every thought and action we have ever had/done! His main goal is for us to live with him again despite our iniquities!

I can testify that all these things are true. I have prayed to know about the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon and I have received an answer. This book and this gospel have brought the most joy I have every experienced in this life (and trust me I LOVE LIFE). I know that the gospel can bring comfort to all people! I am grateful for this knowledge and for my family and friends who are constant reminders of the love my Heavenly Father has for me. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.


Me



  I can put simply the role The Book of Mormon plays in my life. Its how I know who my Savior is. Its how I know that my Father in Heaven loves each and everyone of us so much. Its how I know that he speaks to us through scripture and through modern day prophets. It's how I know that the Father is not limited in these times, that he is the same yesterday, today and forever. I feel the truth of it each time I read it. You can too. I testify its true and I testify that you can know it is too. Just read and pray. Truely search. You will find.

No comments:

Post a Comment